Barcelona with Kids and Family
Here are six amazing things to do with Kids and Family
1.) Take a Walking Tour with a local guide
This is the best way to experience the city, by discovering it with someone who has lived there all his life. You will learn about the stories that have made the identity of the different neighborhoods while wandering slowly around streets full of history. These tours last one hour and a half so it’s not very long and ok for the kids.
2.) Climb to Montjuic Castle
Situated at the very top of the Montjuic neighborhood, it offers a wonderful view over the whole city and the harbor of Barcelona. You can take some time to visit the castle itself (free entrance), but the most exciting thing for the kids will be the way back, going down the hill riding a cable car.
3.) Spend a day at the Barcelona Aquarium
Celebrated as the largest aquarium in Europe, this famous attraction can’t be missed, especially if you’re traveling with your family. The kids get really excited about what they see, so the place is not the most quiet in town, but I guess this is a good sign!
4.) Have a nice picnic at Parque de la Cuitadella
This park, which is one of the oldest in the city, is a great area to spend a day outside. It hosts many outdoor events, especially during the weekend, which contribute to make it so full of life. You will find there three different playgrounds but also a free young children’s outdoor Ludoteca. Finally, if you feel like playing table tennis, some areas are dedicated to it, but don’t forget to bring your own racket and balls. In this park is where the Zoo of Barcelona is located. Something nice to do also with the kids.
5.) Another interesting park to go to with children is Park Güell
This green area was designed by Antoni Gaudi, one of the greatest architects that Catalunya has ever seen. In this park there’s a lot of sculptures of different animals and your kids will enjoy discovering what animals they are!
5.) Make a stop by the Magic Fountain
Situated just by the MNAC gallery, near the Plaza Espanya, the show includes both musical performance and colored lights and in summer the water dances felling the rhythm of different musics. Your children will be absolutely delighted, and so will you. On top of that, the show is entirely free; so there is no reason to miss it!
Traveling with kids often requires a bit of extra organization. So as we want you to make the best of your trip to Barcelona, we have put together a short list of landmarks you must see, places you must go to and activities that will please the whole family.
- 13 million visitors a year 99%
- Incredibly detailed 80%
- Contains hidden mysteries 70%
- When you travel with the whole family, the required budget often rises quite fast, so make the most of Barcelona free things to do and see. For example, most of the museums (including the Picasso museum, which is a must-see in Barcelona) have a free entrance day. You can also replace the meals in restaurants by picnics full of fresh products that you can find in the markets all around the city. La Boqueria is an interesting place to go with children, it’s full of colors and also they have a lot of sweet things that the kids will love.
- Always be careful with your belongings, especially in the most touristic places like the Ramblas, pickpockets are unfortunately quite common in Barcelona.
- You might want to update your friends and family about what you discover in Barcelona, to do so you can use one of the 500 free WiFi spots around the city. They are mostly situated in libraries, museums, parks and gardens.